For the 1897–98 campaign, the club played their home games at the Athletic Grounds (at the present-day Stanley Park).
The club's motto is Progress, as featured on the club crest.
But the two factions remained disunited and, on 26 July 1887, at a meeting in the Stanley Arms public house, the members resolved to wind up St John's and form a new club to represent the whole town called Blackpool Football Club.
The new club managed to win two pieces of silverware in its first season in existence, 1887–88: the Fylde Cup and the Lancashire Junior Cup.
Their application was successful, and for the club's debut season, 1896–97, they joined the 16-team Second Division.
Blackpool's first-ever Football League game took place on 5 September 1896, at Lincoln City, which they lost 3–1 in front of around 1,500 spectators.