Otherwise the building, which faces south, remains much as it was when it was founded in 1608. On the apex of the gable is an original stone bellcote finished with a gabled coping and finial and containing a small bell.
Firby consists of little more than Firby Hall, which is an 18th-century building, two stories high, but rising to three stories in the centre, which is brought forward in a semi-octagonal bay with a hipped roof.
The town extends on the north and west sides, but in recent years the development has been chiefly to the south along the Ripon Road and on the slope east of the station, where a road runs east to Northallerton.
There is still in existence in Bedale the body known as the Four and Twenty or Select Vestry, which managed the affairs of the parish at the beginning of the 17th century (fn. It is still the governing body of the Grammar School.
In Burrill there is a chapel of ease to Bedale and on the south side of the village street is the old manor-house, an L-shaped building bearing the date 1669; four two–light mullioned windows and an oval light are now blocked. Collins, is a rectangular 18th-century classical building facing north-east, rebuilt on the site of an earlier house.
The two-storied older portion, now occupied chiefly by stables, extends from the north-west angle to the edge of the road.